Sunday, November 19, 2006

Aerosmith Concert



I just got back from San Antonio for the weekend. A couple of friends and I went up there for the Aerosmith/Motley Crue concert. I seriously couldn't believe how great of a show Aerosmtih put on. They've always been one of my favorite bands, but it's hard to hear a good "live band." Aerosmith is exactly that. They are everything that's right with music. You can tell that they are up on stage, playing their hearts out; not because they have to, but because they want to. They are there to rock. Steven Tyler and Joe Perry are exactly what you'd expect as performers. From Steven Tyler spinning around with the microphone stand with his drapes hanging from them. To Joe Perry slamming his shirt on his guitar and actually making it play and then laying on the drum set while the drummer hits his guitar with his drumsticks and still keeps playing. Unbelievable. I forgot some songs they played, but I do remember Cryin', Walk This Way, Sweet Emotion, Rag Doll, Eat The Rich, Dream On, and What It Takes were all performed.

Motley Crue was decent. They, of course, opened for Aerosmith who were obviously the headliners. They started out with Dr. Feelgood, which is a classic. But they are a band way past their prime and have kind of lost touch. I guess they've just done way too many messed up things in the past to be able to be coherrent today. I consider myself to be a pretty solid Motley Crue fan, but even I didn't recognize about half the songs.

Concerts have always been a great experience for me. It's always fun to go to an environment and hang out with people you'd probably never engage a conversation with. But there's a mutual respect just because everyone there is there for one reason...to jam. Concerts are a place where you can air guitar and air drum and it's accepted and encouraged. There are some bands I wish I would have seen before they split up like Rage Against the Machine, and Stone Temple Pilots. But seeing the likes of Everclear, Deftones, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Motley Crue, Green Day, Blink 182, Aerosmtih, and Metallica...I'm very satisfied.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home